Monday, October 11, 2004

This is what happens when your hero dies

I talk so much about Christopher... I make comparisons to the wonderful job he did as SUPERMAN.. He was a dedicated Actor & Activist.. He will always be my hero.. I make the referral of him when I wrote about Dave Matthews a couple of nights ago.. So, Lastnight I was erasing some songs off of my mp3 player and decided to put some songs with a referral of "Superman" in it... At this time it was around 11pm sunday and as I sift through songs I came across. Five for fighting "superman", Dave Matthews band "Where are you going", Three doors down "Kryptonite", Remy Zero "Save Me" ( even though this has no refference to superman, it is the theme song to smallville which is about a younger superman).. This seems to happen all the time.. When I have this brain storm to do something creative.. So,I loaded these songs to pay homage to a superhero that made me feel secure.. I never would have thought that monday would have had the bad news of Christopher Reeve untimely death.. I remember when something similar happened at 4a.m on 9/11/2001.. I had just moved to Florida and I needed money really badly.. So my uncle told me to meet him in West palm beach to pick up some money.. It was around 1a.m in the morning when I went to meet him.. When I came home it was around 3:30 a.m 9/11/01.. I didn't really feel sleepy so I put in a tape of "Independence day" and started to watch it.. It got to the part where the ship was about to blow up the Empire State Building, that's where I paused it and went to sleep.. When I awoke in the morning; the television was still on but the vcr had shut off by itself.. I said to myself.. "Wait? when did they blow up the Twin Tower in this movie? Is this a deleted scene?".. I was still sleepy. That's when I saw the plane hit the second building... My heart was beating so hard when I looked closely to see that it was the news and not a deleted scene from a movie..

We look up to actors portraying superheroes in awe when we were kids.. We even wanted to be a superhero when we grew up, but the cruel reality is that we bleed, we hurt,we die.. It took me a while to realize that Superman was just an imagination of ones mind.. It took me a lot longer to come to terms that Christopher Reeve was no Superman, but as imperfect as all of us are.. It's like a bad dream that just keeps getting worste as life progresses... You are no longer a child who thinks they can live forever.. Every year you get older, you realize that you're getting closer to being obsolete.. You're not immortal like you thought when you were a child.. Your pain becomes you're reminder and life seems more of a risk..




"SUPERMAN" by Five for Fighting
I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me

I’m more than a bird…I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd…but don’t be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed…but won’t you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

Up, up and away…away from me
It’s all right…You can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy…or anything…

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It’s not easy to be me.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Farrah Phoenix